Friday, March 7, 2008

Trance Union Limited

The web blog, Azrael, “Trance Revisited, describes and defines the genre of trance music. Although I agree with some of the author's points about the music, I don't quite agree with the sub genre of the music because of lack of source provided in the post. The values of trance are poorly represented in the post for more experienced listeners of this type of the music. It seems not credible enough to educate people about this kind of music or its sub genres. This post provided a brief history of the music, which lacks examples of the different sub genre of trance.

The post was essentially a beginner’s guide to the wonderful world of trance. It described Trance music and guided the readers who lack knowledge of trance. The post was about different types of trance. It states that trance is made up beats and manipulated tunes. It uses more repetitive lyrics which puts a person in trance-like condition. Trance was formed in Germany in 90s, when deejays mixed other beats with songs. Most of the mixes are high pitched, so the audience can distinguish between the original and mixed songs. The post explains the sub-genre of trance which is acid, progressive, anthem, psychedelic, Goa, and lastly Vocal. The author described a lot of popular deejays such as Paul Van Dyk, John Digweed, Sasha, Ferry Corsten and Dj Tiesco, who are helping the genre gain a wide audience in events. People love trance for their satisfaction of being somebody and gain some kind of symbol of “celebrity” status in a dance floor. The author was a deejay, who has performed locally in his hometown in Philippines for a brief period.

The blog post was about trance music in general and brief history of the music. I kept on pushing myself to read the definition of trance, which was trying to show that people might have a lack of knowledge of music. The real "meat" of the posts starts at second paragraph, when the author describes the formation of the trance.

The initial point of the post was the music itself, which generally is 124 to 160 beats per minute and incorporates repeated synthesized sounds throughout the track. I thought it was not clearly describe author to write because people don't realize the number of beats. Attracting new audience is mostly done by their peers or hot videos. I know lot of people who like trance were first didn’t know until when it was shown to them.

Secondly, the author tried to explain the history of different genre of trance, which are acid, anthem, progressive, Goa, vocal, and Euro. I felt author’s intention of guiding readers through the wilderness of trance was a waste of time, point of trance is to experience it. He didn’t provide musical examples that would have connected with the readers even more. I got stuck with anthem trance because I haven’t really listened to it.

I agree with the foundation of Acid trance that it use classic trance with some refined edgy sound effects. It is closely related to progressive trance, which has even more bass beats and melodic sounds.

I don’t know anthem trance, so I wanted an example of the music. I drifted off the paragraph because he didn’t explain the music. I was hoping to learning about anthem rather than receiving a history lesson. It is wrong for me to call it bad the post that provides a good overview of trance, but it fails on citing it sources for legitimacy. I liked the mention of Goa that was like old school trance music. It is made with energetic thumping drumbeats, rhythm, and loops. I know this music for its most rhythmic beat structure. I thought the Euro and Vocal trance was poorly described due to lack of musical examples. He didn’t really explain the lengthy lyrics and musical beats. It was pointless to read about without the examples.

I thought transition to paragraphs were sloppy, because someone doesn’t put a random statement like “Sadly, the trance scene in the Philippines is dying if not dead.” Azrael should have introduced some concrete statement (in the intro) to lead the paragraph that he is from Philippines. If I were to write “Trance Revisited”, I would write this without places that don’t help the article at all. The use of Philippines doesn’t help the paragraph; instead it confuses reader like me.

He tries to identify the differences between Philippines and Europe’s trance clubs, which I thought was pointless because the post supposed to be all about the trance music. Trance supposed to be incomparable of status of specific place. I think the author is like me because we are both passionate about Trance. Trance should be experience in an open environment which allows audience to embraces it.

The post was not carefully written to provide good example of Trance, rather than just a brief history of the music. I think it is written for author’s personal reflection. I think he didn’t want a large audience to read this post; he didn’t show the music by providing mini sound clips in the post, instead he shows bit of example of the music at the end. Post moved fairly quickly on points that confused me to identify the differences between sub-genres. It had paragraphs that did not try "show" the different types trance while it was trailing through the history. I believe that the post was dry for the brief part of post.

While I agree with most of the post of Azrael, certain parts of the post were not properly sourced or provided with a proper example. The author’s personal experience of the music served a connecting purpose to its target audience. It is kind of an easy read if you are into history lesson of trance; you would like it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hahahah good one. it was not my intention to fully immerse my readers and educate them about trance. who am i to educate anyway? just because i was a dj back home doesn't give me the right to use the word 'educate' for i honestly believe it's a very might word, only fitting for those who really know what they're talking about.

secondly, trance isn't the genre i play. it's house, but then again, even house i cannot and will not go into details for the same reason stated above.

and lastly, the entry i did was for one purpose and one purpose only.. to briefly introduce trance music to people who want to download the mix. the entry was all about the mix and where to download it, and that's it.

you might agree on me on this: it sure is a lot better getting yourself acquainted and introduced first to something you are about to download right?

anyway, i appreciate your post. but as a dj, or should i say, as a former DJ.. i'd rather do the mixing to do the talking for me. after all, it's all about the music .

good day!

KOE said...

nice. I liked your input in my post. I wrote this essay not to criticize you as a dj (I loved your mixes) but make a point that I thought you were trying to introduce a musical genre to new audience. It is nice to see an author clarify their position. Some day someone will critic me for this post. And I will have to clarify my statements to them.